Renovation Blunders – go on admit it – you wouldn’t be a DIYer if you didn’t have any house renovation fails.
In the interest of good fun – we’re running a Facebook contest to find the most extreme house renovation fails you’ve experienced.
A quick check around our staff found nearly everyone has had some house renovation fails, especially early in their renovator career. Luckily most house renovation fails are pretty easy to fix, or don’t really present too much of a problem, but some we’ve heard about, have cost the property owners big dollars to make right.
Some of the renovation blunders our staff were willing to share are;
- a security door unfortunately placed to strategically smash an outdoors light every time there was a gust of wind
- a water heater also placed in the path of an out of control external security door
- a kitchen range hood which stopped working and whose lights melted out, because it was installed too close to a gas stove top
- tiles laid in the entrance area of a home owned by an elderly person, which acted like a slippery ice skating rink when it was rained on, and virtually trapped the home owner inside during winter
- cupboards stuffed with wood filler because they didn’t align
- bathroom tiles leaking water into a cupboard behind the wall of the bathroom
As we’ve said, these are just a few of the smaller house renovation fails our staff would admit to. Most blunders we heard about didn’t cost a huge amount of money to repair (except for the range hood problem, which actually cost quite a lot to replace).
A quick google search found a lot of articles and pictures of house renovations fails.
One website well worth a look is servicecentral.com.au. You’ll find enough pictures of extraordinary house renovations fails, to make a DIYer’s blood turn cold. We’ve sampled a few of our favourites:
The Over-Excited Water Mixer The Cut-Out Toilet Door
The Wonky Window
The Toilet Paper Challenge
They could happen to any of us. If you’ve had your own house renovations fails, make sure you click onto our Facebook page and enter our Renovation Blunders Competition and tell your story – you could win yourself $200 just for admitting your mistake.
And one last house renovations fails’ picture from Good Housekeeping, just to make you smile —
The Impossible Driveway
Come and pay us a visit at Renovator Auctions Western Sydney showrooms, 28-34 Orange Grove Road, Liverpool (Warwick Farm), phone: (02) 9822 7883, fill out the form on our contacts page, or email us. For even more inspiration and tips, like and follow us on our popular Pinterest and Facebook pages.
* Any items mentioned or shown in pictures might not be available at Renovator Auctions at the time you visit.
*This blog is general in nature and is ONLY meant to give readers an overview of the subject matter. DO NOT rely on this information for your specific needs. If you are planning to carry out any renovations to your home or business we highly recommend that you arrange for an accredited professional to visit your premises to advise on your SPECIFIC requirements.